Drawing to the end of term…

I am Eleven workshops

As we begin our new inquiry into Identity and the ways we define ourselves, we have viewed the Australian documentary, I am Eleven. This film interviews a range of 11-year-olds around the world with the purpose of comparing their values, beliefs, ideas, and experiences during this unique period of growth that bridges childhood and teens. We have begun to observe that there is a huge range of differences in our physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual experiences; however, there are some common elements related to a growing awareness of ourselves and those around us; as well as beginning to develop greater independence of our parents as our friendships become more important.

Working in our Tribes, we have taken on various roles and focused on our note-taking skills to support ideas developed during viewing.

Electives: Sculpture

After weeks of work, we were down to adding the final touches to our artworks. Some of us used the extra time to explore some paper sculptures to create some fun playful creations. Bringing your ideas to life is always a rewarding experience and it was great to see that satisfaction on our faces as we achieved our different visions.

Electives: Computer Club

By Etienne La Rocca

Esan and I run a computer club and I love it. Just teaching people is fun. It’s a subject that not of people know and teaching people it is amazing. I care a lot about the Computer Club and I want to teach it until high school and hopefully at high school.

Electives: Uke Club

By Astrid Henderson

Hello, I’m Astrid. I joined Uke Club honestly, to get into PHSC, but I ended up learning more then I would have ever realised

1. I learnt how to play ukulele

2. I have improved my on-stage performance/public playing

3. I have had way more fun on Friday afternoons.

I love Uke Club because it’s taught me so much about being calm and helped me focus a lot even in class. Now that I’ve explained why I love Uke Club and I’ve never regretted joining, I’m just going to say none of this was forced on me, I wasn’t told to write all this, I volunteered and I wrote this. I’ve been to Uke Club for a few months now, and I have performed in front of the school, my grandparents, my parents, my dog, and my sister. My confidence has majorly improved. 

Thanks for reading!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Something you can do at home…

Observe the ways each of the individuals identifies themselves within your family. Consider what they wear, how they are described and thought of by the rest of the family, how they choose to spend their time, etc. You may even like to take photos of individual elements, such as hairstyles, tattoos or sports gear to create a family collage!