Exploring the Power of Word Choice in Poetry

Year 5/6 have been introduced to a range of poetry during Term 2. Over the past three weeks, we have deconstructed both Blackout Poetry and Reverse (or Backward) Poetry and attempted to construct our own poems using these structures either in pairs or individually. Poetry is a great form of self expression and we have enjoyed working with both structures and freeform approaches. This will lead nicely into our next inquiry that explores how identity and wellbeing is affected by our choices as we grow and change.

We have successfully begun working within our new ‘tribes’ on these pieces and have been pleasantly surprised by the results of our efforts! The point of the poetry was to emphasise the importance of word choice when creating written pieces and in experimenting with different text structures. The reverse poetry helps them to consider the role of perspective and the value of choosing a good mindset.

The only world to have everything is fake. Text is selected from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/ Blackout poem created by Alexis & Emma
A repulsive boy seemed to be caught up searching for piggy banks and handfuls of money. That same afternoon police found him ripping a newspaper in a city far away. Text is selected from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Blackout poem created by Indigo

Reverse Poem by Patrick & Hugo

(read down & then read back up!)

I hate life
Everybody thinks that
Life is great
But they’re wrong because
Life sucks
People say
Look at the positives in life
But no matter what
You’ll all die anyway

Same and Different by Freya

(read down & then read back up!)

I am exactly like everyone else
So don’t try to explain to me
Everyone is different
I believe
There is no such thing as change
I won’t let anyone tell me
Everyone has different skills
I like to think
Nothing will ever affect my life
It’s not true that
I can choose my own path
I have always known that
We can’t change, even if we want to
So I don’t know why some people think that
Our differences bring us together
We will all be like this, unless we choose to reverse it

Something to do at home

In the holidays you could help build up your child’s descriptive language by visiting an art gallery and making a list of all the various words you might use to describe and artwork or exhibition. The list could be cut up and then constructed into fun expressive poems.