- Counting and skip counting
- Reading, saying and recording numbers
- Exploration of part-part-whole. (numbers can be made up of two or more parts)
- Subitising; working out amounts according to patterns
- Shared reading experiences with Big Books (In a dark, dark wood, The Jigaree and Smarty Pants). There is a focus on learning strategies that can support their reading. For example – using illustrations, rhyming words, making predictions and following the repetition.
- Creating our own book using the pattern in ‘The Jigaree.’ Exploration into verbs (‘doing’ words)
- Guided reading, buddy reading, independent and paired reading.
- ‘Step Inside’ visible thinking routine – understanding the viewpoints and feelings of characters in stories
- Modelled and independent writing – reflection after learning agreement ‘Today I ____’
- Handwriting focus – own name and names of friends. Introduction to letter formation and starting points
- Interactive writing modelled sentence – with focus on commonly used word list
- Researching environments for bugs
- How to be an active listener (to prepare for presentations