Reflections on Remote Learning

As we reach the end of our Remote Learning experience, members of the year 3/4 neighbourhoods have spent time this week reflecting and documenting this unique journey. This time has shaped us all as people and as learners and has prompted our thinking around the question: How have we changed?  One way we have shared our ideas is through our collaborative View from Our View project. Students took photographs and documented their remote learning spaces. Some of us are close by but feeling far apart, and some of us in different parts of the country and the world, technology has been a driving force in keeping us together as one community. 

Another way we have reflected and documented this unique time is through our participation in the Dear Australia project. This nationwide project lead by Australia post has invited Australia’s from all walks of life to document their experience through a letter. The students of ¾ have been able to capture their experiences through words and have grown as writers through our investigation into literary devices and descriptive language. 

Please enjoy some reflections from members of our neighbourhood below.

This will hopefully open eyes to future generations, and show them what it was really like getting homeschooled by our parents, and doing everything online and not face to face. Hopefully, this will inspire people, no matter what the time is, we can always collaborate in different ways. This will help people in different ways to collaborate and learn about new technologies.  (Cleo and Matilda) 

I could also eat when I wanted and didn’t have to ask to go to the toilet!  (Lewis) 

The streets became full of emptiness. The government said if you needed to move or go on a plane do it in the following two days. Our bodies were tense with worry. We headed off two weeks earlier than we were supposed to leave.  (Charlotte) 

Being on screens all day was tough so walks and tennis practices felt like having the best flavour of ice-cream on a scorching summer day. (Aurelie) 

I never thought I would be learning from home as I have been. When the year started I never imagined things would be the way they are. (Wesley) 

Since we weren’t allowed to go camping we went camping in our backyard. We toasted marshmallows in the firepit.  It was pretty fun and I had the best time. (Kat)

Now some things are reopening and sports are starting to come back. We still have to be careful and we can’t go crazy. We will get through this time and when it’s over we will be happy once again.  (Raff)

We are allowed to take the dogs for a walk and exercise, which means the dogs were happier than ever. Since I have been home, my dog wants all the scratches in the world. (Jude)