Week 4 Learning Reflections

Dear parents and carers,

In the Year 2 neighbourhood the students have been actively inquiring into The Self and how those around us impact on who we are. The students have been investigating their families and the wider community to better understand themselves. 

There has also been a wide variety of other learning happening this week. Here is a snapshot of what has been occurring in our Year 2 community:

Edie has been collecting chest-nuts to use when cooking her soup.

Tuesday’s response to her NGV excursion with artist Minna Gilligan.

Ihsahn responded to some mathematical directions to create a culinary masterpiece.

Gabriel: I built an ocean aquarium with my mum’s help. I always want to visit any ocean aquarium like the sea aquarium here in Melbourne or Sydney, the Philippines and Singapore. It makes me feel relaxed every time I’m watching the sea creatures.

Undram: The things l liked this week was the Daily Number, giving directions and using NASA’S Star Child site to learn about our solar system. The things that were challenging were the Daily Number because l did not know what to do but then my mum helped me and I did it. I also found the math directions hard because l didn’t know what to do but then I finally understood. Now I love thinking about the Daily Number and giving directions to other people. I love online school. I am also getting used to it.

Vivienne: I made my mum a Mother’s Day card.

Tucker: I made a map with my mum that gives directions using angles.

Iggy: This week I have learnt more about my family. I found out all the countries my ancestors were from, such as England, Holland, Germany and Ireland. Most of our family has been in Australia since the gold rush. I enjoyed asking my grandparents questions and talking to them about their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents.

Tayma: I have been learning about my family’s journey to Melbourne. I show it on a world map.

Aimi: It was very fun to discover the solar system. Mercury is a very small planet compared to Jupiter. Mercury is the closest planet to the sun. Its surface is very, very hot.

Remy: I wrote a story about me becoming small and my soft toy Lamby came to life. Then I turned big again and realised that it was just a dream.

Binderiya: Our learning gives us the energy that we need.

Edie: I loved that we got to do our daily number.

Evie H: I had so much fun this week learning new things like making ANZAC biscuits which were delicious to eat. I also learnt about factors and fractions, and they weren’t as hard as I thought.

Nina’s fantastic factors.

Charlotte: I enjoyed making the Brussels Sprout, Chestnut and Bacon Soup. It was delicious.

Have a great weekend!

The Year 2 Team