Dance Incursion

This week all the students in 3/4 had their first dance incursion with Vikki Blanche. It was an opportunity for students to connect with their bodies in a calm environment; however, as you will read below, it was also a lot of fun. While some of the kids were hesitant at first, they got to show off their adventurous sides by giving it a shot and expressing themselves in a different way.

Claudia: “I loved the dance so much. We did a thing where we had a scarf on us and then we picked a tree to transform into. When the music played we got to grow from a seed to a tree.

Owen: “Dancing made me feel calm and happy with a sprinkle of excitement and a pinch of joy. When I was growing as a seed it made me wonder what I was going to become – I wanted to jump up and grow all at once but we did it slowly like a tree. It was hard to do, actually.”

Harry: “We were pretending to be a tree. Vikki said at the end ‘be in peace’ and she put a candle on and asked us to look at the flame. She said: ‘Can you see through the flame? Look at the way the flame moves.’ It felt calm and I liked the bit when we pretended to be a tree.

Maggie: “I really liked the dance incursion because I got to become my own personal tree and I became an apple tree. At the end Vikki said ‘we have peace in all of us’ while we sat around the candle and had our palms together under our chins.”Banjo: “I totally thought the dance incursion was the most amazing thing I have ever been to in my life. We got to say ‘be in peace’ and when she said look inside the flame and look through the flame I could. It was the best.”

Molly: “I really liked the incursion because the dance was excellent! The meditation was brilliant. The saying we used is ‘be in peace.’ I think this means always be friends.