Year 2 Neighbourhood Week 6 Learning Reflection

Dear Parents and Carers,

Week 6 has been a short week but a productive one. Some of the learning that we got up to this week included:

Kaan – I noticed that some letters are silent in words, for example the ‘o’ is silent in ‘people’, and the ‘k’ in ‘know’.

Ahilan – The writing on construction signs has a purpose. It warns people where construction is taking place and keeps people safe.

Owen L – I edited a piece of writing that I actually wrote last week. It was about what I am curious about. I focused on my handwriting and checked that my lower-case and upper-case letters were in the right spot.

Bessie – I also edited a piece of my writing from last week. I added a bit more detail to my writing and then I looked at my spelling to see if there were any misspelled words. I found one! I underlined it, and then tried spelling it in a different way. The word was ‘technology’.

Franzi – I also edited a piece of my writing from last week. I used a dictionary to look up words that I wasn’t quite sure how to spell, like ‘electricity; and ‘dwarves’.

Banjo – To learn more about capacity, I measured how many canola oil bottles fit into one orange juice bottle. I filled the canola oil bottle up with water and poured this into the orange juice bottle. It took about 3 full bottles and one quarter bottle of canola oil to fill the orange juice bottle.

Robert – I practised spelling with a focus on words that had the ‘short a’ sound in them, like ‘that’.

Molly – I thought about the purpose of different types of writing. When you see a stop sign on the road, it is telling you that you have to stop. It could be a very busy road and this helps keep people in cars safe.

Jacob – I have been researching how to stop shadows. I have found out if there is a ball and light goes onto it, the circle barrier reflects the light. One side reflects the light off of it, and the other side reflects the shadow off of it. I drew a diagram to explain how to stop the shadow. Be sure to check back on the blog next week, and I’ll have more information for you!

Tristan – Today in the kitchen we learned about and recorded the different equipment that we will need for next week’s recipe. For example, we will need an oven, teaspoons, a whisk or a hand-beater, and a grater. Can you guess what we will be cooking?

That’s it for now, because now we need to do a big neighbourhood clean up. The kinds of things we will be doing include wiping the tables, putting chairs away, putting scrap paper in the recycling bin, pick up any rubbish on the floor, and organise the pencils, rubbers, coloured pencils and textas. See you at our Junior School Assembly tomorrow morning!!