Uncategorized

Finding their language

Since returning to school, the year 1/2 neighbourhood one children have been re- exploring the possibilities of our learning spaces in our unique environments.

In the studio the children have been exploring old and new materials. A highlight has been the observational drawing, starting with still life of plants and now moving into scientific drawings of bugs.

The performance space has welcomed children back with opportunities to use coloured fabric, light or puppets, to show or tell stories. Tickets for the puppet shop were created and sold to an excited audience, held in thrall. 

In the learning commons the children have been telling and writing stories. Children have found some unexpected inspiration from previous years documentation. After investigating fiction and non-fiction texts, the children are now researching and creating atlas’ informing us about their understandings about earth and the universe. 

As educations we began to document moments of the children’s reconnecting with materials and languages they previously had an affinity with. We began to wonder the impact of a preferred language on the children’s learning experiences.

We are working as a team! – Elsie

Yeah! It’s what we do at this school. – Clementine

I’ve started adding detail, see how I’ve just it like this and like this to make the lines.  – Evie

As educators we began to recognise a potential for researching the children’s strengths in relation to the languages throughout our spaces. After reading the book “All the ways to be smart” we asked the children to reflect and then draw the ways they were unique.

After looking at these drawings we asked the children the question “what does it look like and feel like when you are at your best”.

Music helps my mind focus. I can listen. – Lucie

Working on a group is fun. I share together. – Sakura

These are the things I need to be at my best. – Pola

I need quite. Then I listen to the small me inside that is my mind and ideas – Rohan

Throughout this time, we noticed that children were beginning to document their own learning including questions they had about their own learning. 

On Thursday I learned if you are doing something you should plan it, and I found that interesting because when I tried it it worked. – Niamh

We are excited to explore the many possible pathways that this line of inquiry could offer, including the possibilities of the children deeply understanding their own learning processes.