Collage and Connection

Visual Art – Collage and Connection
‘Collage is putting bits of pieces of paper together to make a big bit of paper’ Hattie Yr 1

If each little bit of paper is like one of our stories, and bringing each little piece of paper together is like bringing all our stories together.
‘This will make one big story’… Lucinda

This week students used the medium of collage to create a story of their connection with nature, under the guidance of our Artist in residence, Sarah Rowe. They reflected on the Indigenous perspective of oneness with nature and the idea presented by Kent Morris, Never Alone.
They created their own visual image of oneness and connection in a collaged image. A single image becomes the symbol of how a connection with nature helps us to heal when big changes happen in our loves.
We reach out to the world in new ways…

This is a process that slowly reveals itself, step by step…Sarah Rowe
It is somewhat of a subconscious process and students use colour to process and express subconscious feelings.
“Doing the collage took me back to how I felt being by the river.”

Through the collage process you become one with the process. It seems arbitrary, but it’s not. I can’t think in words, it comes out in doing”… Sarah Rowe
Each of the student’s collages are their small stories that will eventually become part of a bigger story – this will reveal itself as students work collectively together on the larger work later.

“I felt calm making the collage of my story. I was thinking about my special trees. When I worked on my collage, it took me back to the feeling I have when I am next to my trees.” Frances Year 2

“It felt calm. I was there” Edi Year 2
‘While I was working, my thoughts took me to the big sky and galaxy”
I was taken to the place I was collaging in my mind when I worked…
“I felt connected watching my poppies grow in my garden”

The emotions behind creating the collage have become an important element in recognising the healing process. The images created from memory evoke emotions associated with the connection and oneness with nature.
I felt happy and excited making the collage and I felt like I was at home looking at the garden and flowers. Alice, Prep
I felt very connected when I made my collage because I felt I could see my pear tree. Finn Prep
Here are some more of our stories: