Cooking in the Kitchen

Today students from 34A and 34B cooked Chai (caffeine free), Rosemary Crackers and Sauteed Greens in our Kitchen Garden lesson. As a last minute change, we were in the kitchen for a double session, but this gave us a bit more time to spend preparing, cooking and enjoying our food. 34C and 34D will have their kitchen class next week. We will share more details about the recipes then but just thought we’d share some quick photos (all taken by the students) and thoughts from today’s session (Sarvin, Tselmeg, Ayantu and Ela helped write this blog post). This week we used rosemary from the garden in our crackers, and an edible weed called purslane (thank you for the suggestion Lizzie!). Students worked in groups to make each recipe and help out in different areas of the kitchen. 

Before we started, we talked about why it is important to wash our hands before we prepare food.  We used the stove top (for our chai and greens) and the oven today. We learned about ways we can be safe around the stove and oven, like not pushing each other and standing back to let one person stir at a time. We also used knives today to chop onions, garlic, and ginger, and slice up our rosemary cracker dough before we baked it. Things we did to stay safe were cutting slowly and carefully, and remember if someone is using the knife and chopping board, they are standing at the centre of the chopping board and the other students around them are standing back to watch.  

My favourite part was eating the biscuit. It tasted very delicious!I helped by cutting the biscuit dough into 5cm pieces.  The chai that we made today tasted the same as what I drink at home. – Sarvin

I was in the group that made rosemary crackers. I mixed the ingredients, and I rolled the dough. After rolling it out, I helped cut the dough into pieces. My mum grows rosemary at home and when she’s sick I make her a cup of rosemary tea. – Ela 

At the start of the lesson, I picked leaves from the garden. When I went into the kitchen I pulled the leaves off of their stem to wash before cooking with them. The crackers and the chai both tasted good! So good that maybe we could sell them! – Ayantu

I made chai tea. I mixed the milk into the spiced tea. The milk changed to a brown colour and looked like coffee. It smelled really good and it tasted yummy! – Tselmeg