Learning more about division!

This week we have been learning more about division. A vast majority of the Year 2 Neighbourhood were overwhelmingly ecstatic  about the prospect of honing their division skills. There were audible cheers of excitement ringing throughout the neighbourhood when it was announced that division was the focus for the week in our Maths workshops, targets, as well as in Projects and Provocations. Here our some of our understandings:

• For example, if you had 25 blueberries and you wanted to share them with 3 people, each person would get 8 blueberries and there would be 1 left over. (Olivia)
  • My understanding of division is that you are sharing something into groups. (Lewis)
  • If you had 16 hats and you shared them with two people, you would have to give each person 8 hats. (Lyla)
  • If I had 6 oranges and two people shared them, they would get 3 oranges each. (Emma)
  • Division is the opposite of multiplication. (Franzi)
  • If I had 5 carrots and shared them with 3 people, each person gets 1 carrot and there are two carrots lefts over. Sophie)
  • If you had 128 oranges and 4 people, that means that each person gets 32 oranges. I realised that all I have to do is half 128, which is 64, and then half of 64 is 32. (Tao)
  • If I had 15 strawberries and 3 people, each person would get 5 strawberries. (Scarlett H) 
  • If you had 20 ice creams and you shared them with 5 people, each person would get 4. (Alessia)

Our parting message for the weekend is this – to notice examples of division in the real world! (Felix)