Uncategorized

Old Worlds, New Worlds, Other Worlds

I liked to connect with the other people who are also reading books and learning, we share what we like to read and get ideas. Elspeth

The children’s literacy skills have been developing at a rapid rate throughout the 1/2 neighbourhood as we continue to work remotely. In line with book week last week, we put the spotlight on how literacy helps us explore the world around us. Literacy skills incorporate not only reading and writing but viewing of texts such videos, songs and poems and discibring and verbalising our thinking through sharing, explaining, and predicting.

Multiple forms of literacy

Claudia! I love how you have used writing and pictures and music and talking to make this video! It’s so cool! Emma

Each week the children in the 1/2 neighbourhoods engage with literacy in a range of ways, from our inquiry provocations to our morning meetings and afternoon story-times.

By providing a rich and diverse range of literacy opportunities, students can approach literacy learning with agency and enthusiasm while also being supported to challenge themselves to meet their individual learning goals.

I like reading books that are other people’s stories when we get them shared on the blog and I enjoy reading with my mum when I’m at home and sharing my ideas with others. Lucienne

We have also been able to use literacy to connect with the world around us, even through lockdown by having literacy transport us around the world. Other examples of this are our book week dress up day which took place during week 7 and our exploration of indigenous literacy and stories.

Remote learning can be challenging but we have remained connected through shared stories and rich experiences that build and develop our vocabulary. It continued to support diverse learning opportunities to engage, connect and inspire everyone in our neighbourhoods.

We look forward to allowing these connections to growth and flourish throughout these unique times we are in.